Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My 10 x 7 Kitchen Renovation

As I discussed in a previous post. I took me a lot of time to find the perfect contractor for my super custom Kitchen Cabinets (See Remodeling a Kitchen).
With a lot of work I found this company All Star Woodworking located in Thornwood New York that were able to create the cabinets that I wanted for so long.  This company was very professional and they cater to all my needs. At the end of the work, I was absolutely happy. I picked classic white for the cabinets and use black galaxy granite on the counter top and floors. The combination was gorgeous. We also painted the kitchen walls cranberry red, which looked fantastic with all the combination.
One thing I wanted was a back splash of cranberry red glass tiles for easy clean up, but because I wasn't able to find the tile I wanted I opted to hold on that till I find the perfect tile.
After this project was done. I was very happy with my kitchen. However, the need of a backslash was clear when the walls would splatter with water or with grease from cooking. It was in 2011 that I finally found the perfect tile. It was called Red Hot Mamma from Artistic Tile and it was exactly what I needed. I opted to work with my own contractor (Contractor #3), who kept telling me over and over again that he know what he was doing. But from the moment I saw the first tile go in, I knew the guy did not have my best interest at heart. I complained but he kept saying that he knew what he was doing and that at the end it would look great. As the job continued, I felt more and more frustrated till I reached I point when I told him to take it all out. He didn't and continued. I opted for black grout, but turned out the contractor used clear glue died clear and you could see the mesh in the back. Also when I used the black grout, due to little glue, the grout moved to the back of the red tile, staining it back, not longer looking red.
The job is sitting as is. Every time I see my kitchen I cry since I know it has the potential to be beautiful. I might just have to pay to get the job done all over again.
I will post pictures in the future.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment