Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recycling Old Home Fixtures

As I embark in a construction adventure, I felt very sadden to know that many of the furniture and fixture that were in very good condition needed to be thrown out in the garbage. I searched all over the internet for ideas or suggestions of what I can do with this items but I found very few.

What I was able to do was reuse my old kitchen cabinets and created a bed for my guess room. I did this by arranging the cabinets to mold the bed. The short cabinets sat as is and the tall cabinets were laid sideways on the floor. In areas that were uneven, I used the inside shelves to balance it all out. I left a small hole on the side of the bed so I can store suitcases under the bed. Then I put on top the box spring and created the bed. You can add a bed skirt over the box spring and you hide the carpentry.
This idea created a lot of space and storage in my little guess room so I was very happy with it.

I wanted to reuse the fixture but did not find any company that would take them. So the rest of my items where thrown away.
As I started to remodeled my bathroom I did a similar search.


Connecticut
The Reconstruction Center  located in Newington, CT 06111 
731 New Britain Avenue (Rte 174) (Twin City Plaza)
I found my this place in Connecticut that may take some items if they are in good condition. They ask for the items to have its complete pieces (toilets with tank and tank cover). Their motto is that "if you wouldn't buy, they don't want it". Here is a link to this store criteria.

Pennsylvania
ShopDemoDepot located in Mount Pleasant PA
One Cooks Way, Mt. Pleasant PA 15666
This place also has a criteria

No comments:

Post a Comment